Out of the blue

This my story begins when I got into junior secondary school, over
twenty-five years ago.
I was new into the school. An only boys college.
You know how it feels as a newbie, but you also should know how it is
when the entire class is new into the school.
Well, in no time, we all began to choose friends and best friends. I
tried to keep to myself for a while, cause I felt it wasn't the right
time for having friends.
One thursday afternoon, we were to have elementary science, but we
later got the information that the teacher was down on health. In no
time, the whole class was upside down; almost everyone had something
to talk about to their friend, but I was almost alone. Eventually, I
faced a group not too far from me and tried to join their conversation
while looking around for something more fun.
Then I saw a short boy by the window all alone. He's called Tenke by
everyone and his height somehow made everyone tease him. I figured
that I could try befriending him so I stood and went to meet him.
He seemed to be counting some white stones he had with him.
"What are you using the stones for?" I asked without any pleasantries.
He looked at my eyes for a while and it made me feel accepted. He
signalled to me to sit by the window with him. I did and he stretched
quite a number of the stones he held to me. I collected them and
waited for clarifications.
"I hunt rabbits and bush rats at my freetime."
"Okay, with what? You just throw the rock and it hits an animal or what?"
He brought out a good catapult.
"I use this."
"Okay, I want to join you, but what if a teacher comes in when we are
not around..."
"I just like taking risks. It pays. I bought this catapult with the
money I got from selling what I catch. But the small rats are not easy
to sell, so I give them to my dog. That's if I'm n..." he whispered
the last statement.
"Wow, you have a dog?"
'Hmm-hmm'
"I have a spare catapult, the one I used before. You can have it,
till you get a new one." He brought a new one from his pocket and I
began to wonder about how big is his pocket.
There are questions I wanted to ask him like why he chose white
stones, how many are needed, but I decided that there would be another
time for all that.
He looked around for a while as he held my hand, suddenly, he jumped
out and pulled me with him. I almost fell, but wanted to show that I
had stamina.
He began to run and I followed. I knew where he was going. There's a
bush not too far from our school, but since we didn't want to go
through the gate, we went through a broken part of the school fence.
At the end of the adventure into the 'forbidden jungle', we happily
returned. I caught a fat rabbit and a bush rat while Tenke caught five
bush rats.
We hid them in a polythene bag Tenke brought along and ran to our
class. We soon noticed that a teacher, a fairly old man had entered
and was teaching.
Tenke told me to wait. He ran somewhere as I continued hiding.
Soon, I could here noise from the class. I peeped to know what was happening.
"Who threw this at me?"
I noticed that Tenke had thrown a sachet with water in it on the
teacher's leg from the doorway. There was confusion in the classroom.
The old man quickly checked outside to see if he could catch anyone.
"You! Come here." He screamed.
"Ah, Tenke is in trouble." I said silently.
I began to attempt climbing the window.
"Wait." I heard from behind.
It was Tenke. I was surprised, but happy.
We went through the last window at the end of the classroom.
The old man didn't catch the culprit, so he poured his anger at the
students he saw roaming about instead of being at the classrooms.Well,
the story went on and on for a long time. We were best of friends and
did things together most times. Even during the holiday, we made sure
we met to go hunt and after we are done, we'ld sell the animals.
I later got to realise that his father was no more. His father, mr
Afolabi, died of sickness and Tenke's mother took care of him. He even
sold his kill to be able to buy his school needs without bothering
anyone.
The time came when we had to path ways. Seemed like they were meant
to path. We had gotten admission into different Universities far from
each other. He wanted to study engineering and I, law.
We exchanged numbers and promised to call each other. I still had a
question on my mind that I didn't get an answer to all through our
time together.
'Why white stones?'

University made life very hard to live. We could only keep in touch
for the first two months. Around that time, android had began it's
spread.
The more I studied in school trying to focus on my career, the harder
it was for us to make calls and chat, but I still got information
about him. He was called a genius by a lot of people. I also read hard
and obtained a number of scholarships.
Some years after, I had graduated in flying colours and was invited
by some organizations to fight cases for them. I chose the one with
the highest pay.
Not too long after, I built my own law firm and resigned from the
organization I worked.
All the while I searched for Tenke. I still heard of his ingenius
deeds here and there. He was even called blessed at a point after
securing a strong multi-billion dollar nanotech researching company.
I tracked the location of the company.
....And that's why I'm in this plane with a smile that I'll see my
old time friend again." Sir Joshua, as the world knew him, narrated to
an elderly lady he sat with in the first class section of an aeroplane
he had boarded. The airplane would reach it's destination in few
minutes.
"Very beautiful story you have there, young man." The lady commented
calmly, before continuing. "You know, life has its every turn and you
might not see where it's headed, but you chose how you move and where
you move. You have chosen how and where you move and you have made
life beautiful for yourself." The plane got to the airport and we were
about to leave.
The lady gave an advice to Sir Joshua before leaving. "Don't forget
to tell the next generation your story with a moral lesson which is:
align well with life, but never lose touch with those that gave your
heart a special impact."
Sir Joshua smiled and nodded. They finally alighted.
Sir Joshua came with his secretary, so she helped him with his luggages.
Sir Joshua was directed to the location of Tenke's company.
He smiled as he saw the mighty building standing in his front.
"Sir, this is the place we have come for." His secretary spoke up.
"I know."

"Sir, it belongs to..."

"I know."

"Alright sir."

After, he was done staring, he walked into the reception and was
surprised at how he was welcomed.
Finally, the receptionist asked.
"Sir Joshua. You must have come to pay us a visit about what happened."
"Yeah! I found out that Mr Tenke would be here. So I came as fast as I could."
"Oh, you came to see him. I'm very sorry sir, you can't see him."
"Why? He is my very good friend. Just give him a call that I'm
around. You'll see that he will hurridly come here. We were best of
friends in secondary school.
"I know sir. He told us a lot about you. He even followed you up, but sir..."
"Make the call to him now." Sir Joshua demanded.
His secretary called him. "Sir Joshua, please take a look at this."
Sir Joshua turned and looked at what was being stretched to him. It
was an image online with the writing
Rest In Peace
Engr Afolabi Obitenke.

His jaw dropped and his heart sank.
"I'm sorry sir." The receptionist said. "Sir, he knew you would come
here one day so he told us a few months ago to give you this gift."
The receptionist brought a wrapped box to the table. It was the size
of an average phone carton.
Sir Joshua collected it and went to a chair. He slowly tore the wrap
and opened the carton. An old catapult was inside, and that was it.
Heavy tears rolled down his cheeks.
Sir Joshua had finally realised that the 'Blessed' meant, Engr
Afolabi Obitenke, the genius, of blessed memory.

Comments